Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Article about C.K.O.A.P.

My friend Lance sent me a test on Facebook, or it may have been just an email, but here is my reply.

Hi Lance.
I have taken this test before. It is interesting.I just finished reading the article,in Chatham This Week that Peter Epp had in his comment page. Back to the future with fuel prices? is the heading. He did mention you and our group.Yah!It sounded like he was pooh-poohing the whole notion of peak oil and living a simpler life. He mentions the fact of 11% as what the normal family pays out for groceries and restaurant food. I think he did not get the point that there may not be any restaurants or grocery stores or even money to send when all of this is done. He is in the world of the vast majority that has been able to go to the store or restaurant at anytime they had the money to go, all their life. He kept on saying that you believe what you where talking about like you are some religious nut. He asks the question(which he already knows the answer to)of do they still build fruit cellars in new houses - of course they don't. He also said he did not know of anyone who canned anymore. It sounded to me like he was trying to warn the public and still cover his ass by reporting what we are saying should anyone accuse him of fear mongering. Yes we all know powdered milk does not taste the same as real milk. He had a hook with everyone who has tasted powdered milk. He did do us a favour by showing if people stocked up now , for the winter, we would see a savings of 10-15% or more in a short time period, assuming things would be about the same as the mid 70's. If we get some good oil price spikes, I think it will be even worse.
As a side note I went to the local station to fill up my 5 gallon tank with gas to use in the rototiller and lawnmower. I took my neighbour's small tank to since she need gas for her lawn mower. Her's came to $12.08 and mine came to $29.00-ouch! Last year I filled both of them and it was closer to $25.00, maybe a bit more. That proves to me that it has doubled in price in one year, or close to it. Has my wages gone up at all in that time period? Yes about 3%. I also have a new source of money coming in since I took on a new part time job, reading Tarot Cards online at Psychic Access. So far the I have made some money, but not much since it costs money to go online and stay online. Now I have to work harder than I did before, putting in a garden and herbs and keep online and work at the bookstore on the weekends. Keep up the good work Lance. Mentioning the C.K.O.A.P. group in the paper may help the group grow bigger,faster. Now if only I can get him to mention mikesworms.com !Michael

What does this have to do with Hemp you may ask?
The Ckoap group is part of the Post Carbon Institute ( from out west) and Relocalize.net (which is an offshoot of the institute) and we are all looking at ways to deal with the problems associated with high oil prices, which means higher food costs and higher heating costs and higher costs for travel,amongst other things. Hemp, if it was freely cultivated on all the poor soil land and land no longer used for tobbaco, would give us food, fibre and oil that can be a feedstock for plastics, gasoline, cooking oil and just about anything that can be made from fossil oil. There is no need for any food crisis, oil shortage, unemployment and lack of trees for paper. This is one big part to an over all solution, but we can't even get anyone to talk about hemp since it is still illegal to be grown in the United States and many other places the States control. Any chance I have to trot out Hemp, I will take.
If you want to see the article and the comment page, it is in the May 7th, 2008 issue of Chatham This Week. The article is at http://www.chathamthisweek.com/News/398491.html the comment page has a different heading at http://www.chathamthisweek.com/Peter%20Epp/398468.html . Enjoy.
Michael J. Kaer, copyright 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home